Meat Lovers’ Barbecued Kabobs
Every man’s dream – coming home from work to mouthwatering meat skewers on the BBQ with a side of brussels sprouts. Okay, not their biggest fantasy (unless you add bacon to it) but it’s a lot healthier than typical barbecued potatoes, hotdogs, hamburgers, and sausages.
It’s a gluten-free meal with plenty of fibre and protein for anyone after a hard day’s work.
I’m not very good in the grilling department, I usually leave that up to my husband. I’m always scared of undercooking or blackening the meat and I’m also frightened of the BBQ blowing up when I’m lighting it (one of the reasons why we purchased a badass 4 Burner Grill ). If I can make these kabobs, I’m sure anyone can.
What’s so easy about this dish is that you can use any meat or vegetable you want. You can put brussels sprouts on the skewers as well, but they may take longer to cook. Try shrimp or carrots next time, literally anything will work! Oh how much I love shrimp on the BBQ.
Not to mention, I’m a total sports fanatic – these kabobs are more than appropriate when celebrating and watching the Rio Olympics. Go Canada go!
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 large onion
- 227 g mushrooms
- 3 sausage links
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 2 steaks (cubed)
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 10 wooden or steal skewers
- 12 brussells sprouts
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- roll of aluminum foil
- Chop the first 6 ingredients into 1 inch thick pieces.
- Stick the meat and vegetables onto the skewers in the order of your choice.
- Trim bottoms and peel off the first layer of the brussels sprouts.
- Place on a piece of foil, sprinkle with salt and pepper (optional) and add the butter (margarine, olive oil, or vegetable oil will do)
- Wrap in foil twice. Place on the grill with the kabobs and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Grill kabobs on low heat, turning as needed (10-15 minutes) or until meat is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
Let me know what other recipes you’d be interested in seeing!