These homemade fajitas will satisfy your Mexican food craving while saving you money at the same time. A healthy alternative to buying a prepackaged seasoning mix, an easy and delicious dinner in 20 minutes!
Mexican night should be every night, right? If you’re like us, and have a total weakness for fajitas, you are going to love this recipe. Just like my Blackened Chicken and Avocado Salad, Chicken Rice and Black Bean Burritos, and of course these Chipotle Inspired Chicken Burrito Bowls, the whole family will be licking their plates!
No need to spend money eating out at fancy restaurants or buying prepackaged fajita seasoning mixes. You can create your own favourite Mexican dish from scratch. It saves you money and you get to make it your own – just how you like it.
These homemade fajitas are seriously easy. No need to marinate (although it would be great if you did have the time to) and one pan or skillet is all you need. All you have to do is cook the chicken, add your chopped onion and pepper, your homemade seasoning, then simmer and voila!
Serve as a fajita bowl, over rice, on a gluten-free corn tortilla or whole wheat pita. The possibilities are endless and everyone in the family can choose exactly how they want to eat it. A 20 minute meal that serves the whole family is a winner!
More dinner recipes you’ll love:
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Chicken Stew (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- Lemon and Garlic Butter Salmon (Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole 30)
- Vegan Avocado & Chickpea Salad (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Add a side bowl of guacamole, salsa, or sour cream. One of my favourite Mexican sides is pico de gallo, anything with tomatoes!
For the spicy food lovers, add a splash of your favourite hot sauce (our favourite here) into the seasoning, or add some chopped jalapeños to grill. As for the toppings, you can use hot sauce once again or some Sriracha. Place some dairy free ranch or sour cream into a ziplock bag, cut a corner of the bag, and drizzle it over your fajita. Bon appetite!
I’d love to see how your fajitas turn out! Tag North South Blonde on Instagram and use the hashtag #NorthSouthBlonde.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 large onion
- 2 peppers (colour of choice)
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- For Fajita Seasoning:
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Thaw out chicken breasts before hand, wash, pat dry, and cut into strips. Cook in a pan or skillet with olive oil over medium heat - about 10-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the centre.
- In the meantime, cut the onion as you would a tomato (into slices) and with each slice make a cut from the centre outwards. This will allow it to open up while cooking. Wash and deseed peppers. Cut the peppers vertically into strips. Wash and cut jalapeño into slices, removing seeds if desired.
- In a bowl, combine water, olive oil, and dry seasonings, and whisk together.
- Add the onion, peppers, jalapeños, and seasoning mix to the pan. Mix together, coating the chicken well. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl, over rice, or on a tortilla of choice. Enjoy!