It’s nice to take a break from technology once in a while. Just good old board games to interact with family and friends, and live more in the moment.
Whether you are stuck inside on a snow day, want to change things up because the kids are going stir-crazy with cabin fever, you’d like more family time during the holidays or board game ideas to bring to the cottage or to go camping, this post has you covered.
Off-The-Grid Family Board Games
Funny story. Before we bought our home, we lived in a two bedroom apartment. And before that, we lived in a cottage, living like Mennonites for a month with our firstborn when she was just a small baby. Started from the bottom and now we’re here, I guess you could say. One of our favourite things to do together as a couple was play cards, and even to this day, we have a game night with the kids and play our favourite card games and board games.
It’s the little things, the simple things in life that truly bring happiness. Board games are the perfect Christmas gift to give every holiday season!
The Best Family Board Games
- The Game of Life – Exactly what it teaches you, about life! A great game that kids will easily be interested in, because of the real life experiences that are involved when playing it.
- Scrabble – A great game for the mind, as well as teaching kids how to read or enhancing their reading capabilities!
- Checkers – Play over and over again, with good conversation going and maybe even a drink in hand. An all around simple and classic board game.
- Family Feud – Everyone wants to guess the top answer in this game! Talk about addicting and great for good laughs all around.
- Watch Ya’ Mouth – A true giggle fest. Teammates guess what someone is saying while they’re wearing a mouth guard that retracts their cheeks. There can be up to ten players!
- Sorry – An easy game to get the kids involved while it enhances counting abilities. It’s an exciting race to get to the finish line!
- Jenga – One of our favourites, this game keeps us on the edge of our seats at all times. It’s also a great problem solving game for the little ones!
- Monopoly – Mostly for the family with older children who have a better understanding of money, this is a game that is enjoyed from start to finish, no matter how long it takes.
- Connect 4 – Strategizing fun, just like x’s and o’s, the kids will want to play on and on.
- Charades – Family friendly and involves getting off the couch. This is a classic that will get the whole party involved and excited for their turn.
- Playing Cards – You don’t need a board, just a table! Small and portable, take your playing cards wherever you go and play your favourite games as a family. A simple game of Go-Fish is kid-friendly as well! We love to play: Rummy 500, Crazy Eights, Crazy Eight Countdown, War, and Hearts.
Board Games for Kids
- Chutes and Ladders – A fun and kid-friendly twist to the traditional snakes and ladders board game. There is continuous excitement when my girls get to climb a ladder to advance, or giggling when one falls down a chute back to the bottom.
- Guess Who? – A great problem solving game that will step up your child’s visual analytic skills.
- Candy Land – This was always a childhood favourite! It reminds me of the Charlie and The Chocolate Factory movie, and I watch the old version and the new version with the girls all the time so they’re always so excited to play this game.
- Scrabble Junior – This game is focused on early learning and reading for young children, which they will find easier to play as opposed to the adult Scrabble.
- Monopoly Junior – Dedicated for younger children and we can’t wait to try this one!
- Hungry Hungry Hippos – So much fun and my kids are always excited to play this more-physical board game. We even have a mini version to take with us on road trips!
- Trouble – Simple and fun to play by pressing and popping the dice to roll. It’s also a super affordable game to buy.
- Operation – This is so cute for kids of all ages. They pretend play to be a surgeon, to carefully remove ailments from the character on the board without getting buzzed when touching the sides.
- The Game of Life Junior – An easy and fun way for kids to learn to play the real game! Just as great to be enjoyed with the whole family.
More Holiday Gift Ideas:
- Top 10 Christmas Gifts for Kids
- 25+ Stocking Stuffers for Kids (No Toys)
- The Top Ten Battery Powered and Electric Ride-on Toys
I hope these board games give you inspiration for your holiday shopping, to gift to someone special in your life, or to have on hand for camping, cottaging, or family time on snowy days by the Christmas tree.
Which one is your favourite?