Get cozy with the kids in the comfort of your own backyard with an outdoor movie night any season of the year!
This post may contain affiliate links in which I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking those links, at no extra cost to you.
Outdoor Movie Night For The Kids
Christmas is right around the corner and if you’re looking for some gift ideas, I’ve got you covered!
All of the items you’ll need to make an outdoor movie night as epic as can be would also be great for gifting. I hope this inspires you to make it super fun, the whole family will enjoy.
From twinkle lights (you won’t believe that you can grab some from the Dollar Store!) to Squishmallows and sleeping bags, start popping the popcorn!
How to Create An Outdoor Movie Night In The Backyard
- Set-up your space during the day, when it’s light out.
- Make sure your projector is fully charged or has a power source.
- Take time to clip the bedsheet up securely, making sure it lays flat and won’t blow in the wind.
- Have drinks and snacks ready, like popcorn, a fruit or charcuterie board.
- Make sure to add lights so kids feel safe and cozy — lanterns, night lights, twinkle lights etc.
- Double check that you’re signed into any streaming apps to access the movie without difficulty.
An outdoor movie night can be enjoyed in any season, as long as you’re well prepared. Fall is a great time because well, no bugs! But you can also set this up on a mild winter day, under a gazebo or in a playhouse or garage.
Christmas Holiday Gift Guides:
- Holiday Gift Guide – Top 10 Christmas Gifts for Kids
- Gift Guide – 25+ Stocking Stuffers for Kids (No Toys)
- Black Friday Top Deals – Christmas Gift Guides
- The Top Ten Battery Powered and Electric Ride-on Toys
- Top Gifts For The Outdoorsman Dad
Outdoor Movie Night on The Trampoline
For us, the easiest way to set up an outdoor movie night was with our Springfree trampoline. The durable netting makes it easy to hang things, and it keeps the kids high and dry off of the ground.
You can easily get festive with Christmas lights, garlands, and decorations, or camp out on the trampoline. The possibilities are endless!
Read our Springfree Trampoline review here. The most awesome, humungous gift that replaces all of the toys this Christmas!
Backyard Family Movie Night Ideas
You don’t need an expensive projector to make this work. Grab one from Amazon or try out a Cinemood — this is the one we use (great for travelling) and it has preprogrammed educational content, Disney, games, storytelling, and so much more.
We simply hung a white bedsheet to the netting of our trampoline using clothespins by clipping the top two corners of the sheet to the net. If it’s a windy day, you may need to clip the sides and bottom of the sheet to keep it in place.
Same thing with the twinkle lights, we clipped those to the netting with clothespins as well. Luckily we used battery powered lights, but you can always run an extension cord to power everything you need.
We equipped the girls with cozy sleeping bags, pillows and stuffies to make it feel extra safe and special.
Optional — use an outdoor portable bluetooth speaker to play the movie louder, for better sound quality if desired.
I’d love to see what ideas you bring to life for your own family!
If this post inspires you, be sure to tag @northsouthblonde on Instagram so that we can see all the fun and I will share your photo to my stories! You can also find me on Tiktok, Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook.