A cabbage soup that’s simple, low carb, low calorie, and powerful for weight loss. Enjoy its endless health benefits and watch the weight melt off.
The whole point behind eating low carb is to train the body to burn fat. If you cut back 500 or more calories a day, you will set your body up to lose approximately one to two pounds each week, regardless of your exercise regime. Foods like kale and spinach are leafy greens that are low in calories, as well as carbs. And a vegetable packed soup like this cabbage soup is no different. However, refrain from eating fruits with high amounts of naturally occurring sugar, like bananas. They can actually stall weight loss. Berries like strawberries and blueberries are lower in carbs and sweet enough when cravings hit.
Cabbage Soup Benefits
- Improves digestion and aids in weight loss
- Lowers blood pressure and stabilizes mood
- Causes feelings of fullness and reduces cravings
- Cleanses digestive tract
- Full of anti-aging antioxidants
- Anti-inflammatory agents present
- Lowers cholesterol
- Prevents heart disease
- Improves skin
- Improves mental health and brain function
- Strengthens the immune system
Thanks to all of these health benefits, cabbage is the real winner in this recipe. The superfood, known for aiding in weight loss and weight management, is what makes this cabbage soup so powerful. Many known diets including the 7 day cabbage soup diet, and the GM diet, allows one to eat this soup for one week straight.
Unlike other cabbage soup recipes out there, this one is unique because it does not involve tomatoes, which can be high in sugar and cause insulin levels to spike, something that is considered if one is a diabetic.
If you are on a ketogenic diet, remember that this soup cannot be the only thing you’re eating, especially when you’re counting your macros. You’ll need to add healthy fats and protein to your diet, while also enjoying this wholesome cabbage soup. Have a plate of chicken or fish on the side, and sprinkle some parmesan cheese into the soup for just the right amount of balance and flavour.
More Keto Recipes You’ll Love
- Gluten-Free Keto Low Carb Taco Bowls (with Homemade Taco Seasoning)
- Breakfast Scrambled Egg Stuffed Peppers (Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole 30)
- Grilled Salmon Cucumber Salad (Easy, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole 30)
This large batch of cabbage soup makes about 8-10 bowls. It’s a great dinner when feeding the whole family – my kids approve one hundred percent! Healthy, delicious, and convenient. Simply store in a container in the fridge and warm up to eat any time of the day. Great to enjoy on chilly days, when you are sick with a cold, or to warm your belly!
Fat Burning Cabbage Soup
- Wash, pat dry, and finely chop vegetables.
- In a large soup pot, heat up the olive oil and sauté the onion, carrot, celery, and minced garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- Add the 8 cups of water. Crumble the chicken cubes by hand and add to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add in the chopped cabbage, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir soup to mix well.
- Simmer on low for 30-40 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired, and serve!