Why detoxify your body? First of all, when it’s bikini season, the last thing you want to feel is bloated. Drinking plenty of fluids and cleansing your body can prevent that.
Generally, people tend to confuse thirst with hunger. This causes over-eating, eating poorly, and ultimately weight-gain. That’s why it’s so important to stay hydrated especially in the warm weather. Be sure to drink a glass of water before and after each meal. 8-10 glasses of water is the daily recommendation.
In order for your body to perform at it’s optimal rate so you can look and feel your best this summer, follow these 5 simple steps to detoxifying your body.
5 Ways to Detoxify Your Body
1. Eat a lot of fibre – brown rice, organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables. These specific foods are well known for detoxifying the body. Try to eat beets, cabbage, broccoli, radishes, cauliflower, artichokes, spinach, and kale.
Here are foods high in fibre:
Kidney beans and black beans.
Whole grains, brown rice, wholegrain rice, and seeds like flax seeds and chia seeds.
Nuts such as almonds, pecans, and walnuts.
Porridge and oatmeal
Fresh fruits and veggies (the darker the colour, the better)
2. Cleanse your liver. Clean and protect your liver with herbs such as dandelion root, milk thistle, burdock, and green teas. One of my favourite ways of doing this is taking a 30-day teatox.
3. Consume foods enriched with vitamin C. It will help the body produce glutathione, which is a liver compound that will drive away toxins and clean you out. Lemon is great for detoxifying when added to a glass of water or a hot tea.
Foods high in Vitamin C include:
Guava, black currant, red pepper, green pepper, kiwi, orange, strawberry, and papaya.
4. Breathe deeply. It allows oxygen to circulate completely throughout your body. Many people use meditation.
5. Prevent stress. Emphasize positive emotions in your life and practice hydrotherapy – take a hot shower, allowing the water to run down your back for about 5 minutes. Follow with cold water for at least 30 seconds. Do this before you go to bed.
Or simply take a warm bath, play relaxing music, and light some candles. You can also use a diffuser to diffuse essential oils into your home that promote relaxation.
Essential oils to relieve stress include:
You can detoxify your body in many ways. You can make smoothies with detoxifying ingredients. Remember to drink plenty of water, use detoxifying herbs, and keep your diet high in fibre. Going to the washroom is a good thing. It means your body is ridding toxins and flushing you out. You will feel and look your best.
I know these tips will work for you. Let me know in the comments below of your favourite way to detox.