Portobello Mushroom Bacon Burgers are extremely juicy, delicious, and healthy. The ultimate paleo meal that’s low in carbs and high in protein.
Transitioning to a paleo or whole 30 diet can be quite difficult, especially when you have to avoid dairy, grains, sugar, and salt. The question is, how can one prepare a filling, hearty meal without all of those tasty carbs? These portobello mushroom burgers do exactly that. They’re high in protein and will satisfy your cravings all in one.
Also, my husband just happened to go crazy over these. Who said eating healthy has to be limited to salads only?! Although my blackened chicken avocado salad from last week was amazing! Get the recipe here.
For this recipe, instead of using hamburger buns, I use large and juicy portobello mushrooms. And did I mention these are made with homemade burgers? Even more juicy goodness!
I use extra lean ground beef and I also recommend using ground turkey because turkey burgers are just as delicious. It’s also much more lean than beef. And with no salt added, you are welcome to add a pinch of sea salt as the paleo diet allows you to.
Another great way to substitute breadcrumbs when making homemade burgers is by using almond flour. It helps add the right amount of crunchiness to your burgers!
More paleo recipes you’ll love:
- Blackened Chicken and Avocado Salad (Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole 30)
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Tacos (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- Vegan Avocado & Chickpea Salad (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole 30)
- Blueberry Banana Cinnamon Pancakes (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo)
When avoiding salt and heavy carbs, you’ll notice a difference right away – how you feel, how you look, and ultimately having more energy and confidence. Don’t be fooled by the meat in this recipe because it’s packed full of protein to fuel your body.
Just remember to eliminate the dairy (no cheddar cheese for topping), skip the ketchup (mustard is a great paleo alternative), and make sure the bacon has no added sugar or salt.
Enjoy these juicy, mouth watering homemade burgers that are layered on top of portobello mushrooms. They are the ultimate paleo lunch or dinner this summer that everyone will love.
Remember to tag me on Instagram and share your food with me!
Portobello Mushroom Bacon Burgers (Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole 30)
- 8 portobello mushrooms
- 4-6 slices of bacon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For homemade burgers:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- pinch of sea salt optional
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cilantro
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- Toppings of choice
- Wash and cut the stems off of the portobello mushrooms. Heat a frying pan with olive oil over medium and fry mushrooms covered for 3-5 minutes per side or until soft and tender. Remove and set aside.
- Cook bacon to desired crispiness. Remove and wrap in paper towels to absorb grease.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, sea salt, pepper, cilantro, garlic powder, pepper flakes, paprika, olive oil, egg, and almond flour. With clean hands, knead the mixture until well combined. Shape the mixture into 1/2 inch thick patties, or thinner, poking a whole halfway through the middle using your thumb (this will help keep the burgers flat when cooking).
- Cook burgers 5-6 minutes per side or until browned through. Let stand for just under 5 minutes and place between portobello mushrooms. Top burgers with the bacon, red onion, tomato, romaine lettuce, sautéed jalapeños, and mustard. Toppings are all optional. Serve with a balsamic salad or vegetables of choice and enjoy!
Shop This Post: