We have been going months without buying sugar and adding it to our coffee. In return, my husband and I have been feeling great and more energetic. Once in a while I crave something chocolaty so I wanted to make a chocolate pudding that’s healthy and nutritious for the whole family. It was supposed to be just for the kids…
What’s great about this pudding is that there is no sugar added – I used unsweetened cocoa powder and natural sweeteners.
It literally tastes no different than store bought pudding.
My mixture is dairy free, gluten-free, high in good fats, fibre, vitamins, and has as much potassium as one banana (just in case your child doesn’t like bananas). Avocados are a great potassium source.
This recipe is also vegan, which means no eggs and no milk. But the flavours don’t suffer! This pudding will definitely satisfy your cravings while nurturing your body. I wish I made this when I was pregnant!
Today I served the pudding to my toddlers in a small bowl each. The perfect snack between breakfast and lunch. They undoubtably loved it, so much that they licked the bottom of their bowls!
Unfortunately, my girls are not big on avocados, yet they still loved this pudding. The best part was that they didn’t notice the avocados in it because of how sweet and chocolaty it is. Now that’s a mom win in my books – when my kids eat anything homemade, in substitute for store bought processed foods.
It was super easy to make and only involves five ingredients. I also find that the mixture thickens very nicely when kept in the refrigerator.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO:
- Mix together all of the ingredients until smooth using a blender, food processor, or a hand held mixer (the blender I use). So easy! Refrigerate for an hour or serve immediately.
- Garnish with walnuts or nuts of choice (optional). I also sprinkled this vegan and gluten-free icing sugar on top.
And that’s it! Easy as pie. And so good for you! What are some of your favourite healthy snacks?