These burritos are packed with tons of protein and fibre. Better yet, they’re light and will not weigh you down, meaning you may want to eat more than one! And that’s totally okay! The blackened chicken gives such incredible flavour and is a much healthier alternative to ground beef. That makes these babies lean and perfect for lunch, dinner, or even after a workout.
My favourite part about these burritos is the cilantro lime rice. It’s so good that you can eat it by itself! We add ours to burrito bowls and tacos as well. The lime isn’t overwhelming and really adds the perfect amount of flavour no matter what meal you’re using it for. Inspired by my favourite Mexican grill Chipotle, I get to enjoy the same great taste by making a similar version in my own home.
This recipe makes Mexican night so fun. The kids can choose their own toppings and the hubby will be able to add as much hot sauce as his little heart desires. I use gluten-free corn tortillas or whole wheat pita bread to make our burritos. If using hot sauce, we use Frank’s RedHot original and then I cool it down with a spoonful of light sour cream.
For more Mexican inspired meals, try:
- Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice (Gluten-Free)
- Chipotle Inspired Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Tacos (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
What You Need:
- cilantro lime rice (recipe here)
- gluten-free corn tortillas (or whole wheat pita)
For the chicken & taco seasoning:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- juice of half a lime
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp flour
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ pepper
- ¼ cayenne powder
For toppings (all optional):
- ½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced jalapeños
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Frank’s RedHot Original Hot Sauce
What You Have to Do:
- Prepare the chicken. In a small bowl, combine dry spices and stir to mix. In a large bowl, combine the chicken with oil, lime, and add the taco seasoning. Coat chicken, cover, and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Cook the rice according to this cilantro lime rice recipe.
- Grill chicken on medium/high heat, about 4 min per side, depending on thickness of chicken. Be sure centre of chicken is not pink and do not over-cook. Set aside and slice vertically for desired thickness.
- You can warm the pita bread in the oven at 350 for 3-5 minutes, if desired. Top pitas with chicken, rice, black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Try not to overload with toppings as it will be hard to roll the pita afterwards. Fold the bottom of the pita up, and the left and right sides across. Use a toothpick to hold in place. Serve.
- You may wrap them in foil and store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Enjoy and I hope you have a fabulous family day long weekend! From my family to yours,