Spinach and cream cheese stuffed chicken is an easy dinner recipe that’s gluten-free, low carb and keto friendly! Oven baked, simple and deliciously seasoned.
This easy stuffed chicken recipe is the perfect main course for weeknight dinners. All you’ll need are a few simple ingredients for savoury chicken cooked to tender perfection.
They’re also easy enough for meal prepping to enjoy throughout the week.
And most of all, they’re a mouthwatering crowd pleaser for family and friends!
Spinach Stuffed Chicken Ingredients
Chicken Breasts Defrosted and Halved
For this recipe, I use two large boneless skinless chicken breasts. The larger they are in size, the easier they are for stuffing. You can easily double the recipe if you will be baking four or more chicken breasts, depending on how many people you’re serving.
There are so many variations of chicken seasonings out there, and you probably have your own preference on seasoning. You can literally season stuffed chicken any way you like!
Use a flavourful blend of spices, like himalayan salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary and thyme. If you really love a smoky taste, add in some paprika.
Spinach and Cream Cheese Filling
A quarter of a block of full fat cream cheese is the winner for this creamy and rich stuffed chicken recipe.
You’ll also need shredded mozzarella, grated parmesan, minced garlic, and finely chopped spinach.
Right before my spinach begins to wilt in the fridge, I’ll throw the bag into the freezer to use for smoothies and dinner recipes like this. It truly won’t matter if you use fresh or frozen spinach.
How to Cut and Stuff Chicken Breasts
When you cut your chicken breasts in half, don’t cut all the way through (like a bun), so that it opens and closes like a pocket. Never cut towards yourself. Place your hand on top of the chicken and cut horizontally, right down the middle.
You’ll spoon in your filling to the middle of the chicken, and then fold over the top of the chicken to close the pocket. You’ll want it packed full of that cheese mixture goodness, so don’t be afraid to open it and spoon in more.
How to Make Stuffed Chicken
- Prepare the filling. In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese (at room temperature), mozzarella, parmesan, minced garlic, and finely chopped spinach.
- Cut your chicken breasts. Cut horizontally, not all the way through the end (leaving about 1/2″ like a bun, to open and close).
- Stuff the chicken and season. Open your chicken up and spoon in the cream cheese filling until full. Close the chicken. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle a blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, and thyme. Rub the seasonings to coat evenly.
- Bake in the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink inside, or the inner temperature reaches 165° F.
How to Bake Stuffed Chicken
At our house, we bake our chicken breasts at 400° F, always. Be sure to check the size and thickness of your breasts to determine the cooking time.
For two chicken breasts, 30-40 minutes in the oven will do. If baking four or more, 40 minutes to one hour is sufficient.
If unsure, you can always cut a piece off of the middle breast in the pan, at its thickest point, to check if the meat is pink inside. Or, use a thermometer to check that the inner temperature of the chicken (not the filling) is 165° F.
Oven Baked Stuffed Chicken Tips
- Fresh or frozen spinach will do.
- Use cream cheese at room temperature for easier, faster mixing.
- For minimal hand washing, cut the chicken and stuff before seasoning.
- Always leave a 1/2″ when cutting the chicken breasts through, horizontally, to form a pocket
- Take care when spooning the filling onto the chicken, not to tear the chicken.
- Fold over the chicken on top of the filling–no need to secure with a toothpick!
Stuffed Chicken Side Dishes
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
- Green Beans
- Brussels Sprouts
- Cauliflower Rice
- Grilled Eggplant
Other Chicken Breasts Recipes You’ll Love:
- Baked Ricotta Chicken (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- Cheesy Taco Chicken Casserole (Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-Free)
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Tacos (Gluten-Free, Paleo)
Pin for later!
Spinach Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken (Gluten-Free, Low Carb, Keto)
- In a bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, parmesan, mozzarella, and garlic. Set aside.
- Pat dry your chicken breasts with paper towels. Cut each breast horizontally, not all the way through the end (leaving about 1/2" like a bun, to open and close). Place chicken in the baking dish.
- Spoon the cream cheese filling onto the centre of the chicken and fold the chicken over to close the pocket. Stuff with more filling if needed.
- Drizzle olive oil on top of chicken and sprinkle the combined spices. Rub over chicken to evenly coat.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside, or the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°.
Shop The Post